Friday, October 17, 2008

Feature Story: Light Amidst Darkness!

Waiting for the Sunrise!
Luzviminda L. Ubalde
Down through the years, a baby was born whose parents give a noble name that owns the native land - Luzviminda L. Ubalde. I was deriving from a poor family but with principle. My parents loved me most that no one can afford. I am blessed with it. They raised me well that love pours in my being. But as the earth rotates and revolves around the sun everything has changed and turned out dry.

I was quiet surprised about the flow of my life. It seems it will never stop anymore. Sometimes, I can never figure it out the sunrise of hope in struggling the vicarious circumstances and only tears and even moans are left and prepared for me. Many said that they’re all just shortcomings to test you. But I mean it in opposite for they are not just merely like that instead it deprives you totally to quit and to accept losing the game.

Doing the best I can is done already. Unfortunately, it’s not enough. The situation is still teasing me continually. The roar and sonar are behind my way to scare me and make me scream boisterously. Again at this moment, trying to keep my weight on balance help me believing and hoping for the sun to shine my darkness pathways and determine to make the best of my difficult situation.

Entering in elementary years had been long and difficult for I was anew stranger in Mindanao at Cagayan de Oro City. I was alone, separated from my friends and relatives in Manila. That first year of schooling was akin of process in studying and learning the new language I encountered. Until I became master and I could easily understand my classmates already. That’s the time of starting in meeting friends and making friends to them.

In those years the most unforgettable moment that only years and maturity had vanished the pain and forget it was my grade two teacher. A teacher who handle the section A and who is very strict that the students will fell frightened of her beauty. She’s an aged mother and well known of being terror to any dull students. And because I am weak…this brought me the wrong accusation that I never committed. I can’t defend myself because of fear to my terror teacher. So all I can do is to do the punishment without justice. The accusation was against to my feelings but what can a poor little girl do to gain justice where the accuser was the teacher’s pet.

Looking back to my secondary years was so exciting and full of mix emotions. I graduated from a Religious Virgin Mary in Cagayan de Oro city. Yes it’s quiet strict in terms of disciplinary cautions for its vision is to transform society living the Marian-Ignacian values of God and humble service to others. That’s why; simplicity and modesty in actions and dresses are observed and followed. The school is not merely acquainting to you but also to others. With this, we had many adventures and trips that happened to lend service. It's very enjoyable and I’m terribly missing it!

I’ve met many closed friends and they are one of my precious friends. In hardships and happiness they are always willing to share and lend their shoulder to cry on.

Yes I do have a complete family but I was under the supervision of my uncle. In political saying, he terrorized my youthful days. Though I have everything I want, I’m still a prisoner. I can’t move and make decision without my uncle’s permission when he sets the time, you should arrive at that time or else harsh words that soothe to your nerves will be uttered. He definitely overpowers my father. As I have known, he is doing it because he wanted me to achieve his achievements in life more than he had. But I don’t want to live in his mysterious life. Yeah, I admit that it is an immature reason but I was tired and I can’t take it anymore caused of overprotection. So I decided to talk to my father seriously to transfer and leave our own house to avoid more misery.

Of course, the game wasn’t over. A fret my high school graduation my parents and I decided to pursue my studies here in Tagum. We planned it well and in the middle of May my mom and I came here. In the first place, it was my aunt’s recommendation for she was willing to finance my studies. But it was all untrue.

My college life was mournful memory. It is because all the precious persons and opportunities died and gone. The complete, happy and blissful family turned into dust. It was really a sad moment of my life when I am longing for. Third party was involved and very impossible to break the wall. The pangs of poverty and longingness of having a complete family made me feel alone in the midst of darkness and no one wanted to help me. It is really a difficult situation to handle.

Reaching the peak is fast approaching but at this time; it seems blurred, added to my mother’s health that becomes worst. I am really in dire needs in all things. It is true that in the journey of life, we also fail in our struggles against our own weaknesses. We may fail once, twice, thrice, many times but most us still remains standing on our own feet, continuing the struggle until we finally overcome our weaknesses completely. We give ourselves chance to rise from where fall. As our Filipino saying goes,” Kung saan ka nadapa, doon ka bumangon.”

With this, I realized it is good for us to look at our failures as challenges to face and overcome to the best that we can to attain fullness of life. This may gives us hope that there is still time for us perhaps not this time but tomorrow.

I learned better that life teaches us that there is no success without pain. Every success entails pain and suffering. If we do not allow ourselves to face and experience them and if we do not allow others to help us, we cannot succeed.

Living of the fullness of life in Christ is what I am dreaming for and I know trials will always be a part of it. But I firmly believe that God is all-good, guides, and inspire me, giving me hope and the grace to face and overcome these trials patiently. And I am sure that He will give me a moment of success through this set of circumstances.

No comments: