Friday, October 17, 2008

Feature Story: Set Your Own Destiny!

"Life is a Promise, Fulfill it!"
Grace C. Quialquial

The strongest principle of life lies in human choice. We are the ones who patterned our own destiny. Go confidently in the direction of our dreams and live the life we’ve imagined.

I have belonged not to a certain well-off family but a dignified a great one. Since I was a child, I was quite aware about the status of our living. Though I don’t live in a big house, not well-provided with such material possessions, but I felt the contentment and satisfaction. There comes a time when it lies on us to shape the clay of our lives into a sort of thing we wishes to be but I don’t blame my parents, the times, lack of good fortune, or quirks of fate for not having the life I wanted to have but instead deep within those innocent mind of mine was an incomparable desire and determination that someday and somehow I can able to improve our ways of living. My hats off to them because despite of our poverty, they did not feel that we really that poor. They did their very best to giver us the best education, they provided our needs and wants or just simply making us felt that everything was all right. We had sheltered with love and care that I was certain that nobody could afford. Since I was very young then and not capable to extend my help, I studied well and try to excel in any field of interests. My heart was filled with overwhelming emotions as I saw their faces very happy and proud with my achievements. But nevertheless, they did not pressure us to focus only in our studies and set such expectations to be achieved but they let us discovered and pondered the beauty of being a child. They encouraged us to play and mingle with others or simply to experience how nice and great the feeling was, once you are a child. I was an energetic and hyperactive child yet sickly and so I was given a special care. My mom said I was so different from my sister; I was naughty while my sister was a fragile one. Honestly, I admired her so much, her beauty and intelligence. People used to compare us because of course when basing upon our physical appearance it was not really obvious that she was my sister. I got hurt most of the time because sometimes they were being unfair, judgmental and insensitive. But as time went by, I had realized how blissful and thankful I was because God gave her to me. Though it was inevitable for us to have some misunderstandings because of course we had uncommon and various principles in life,

High school days for me were an integration of awkwardness and adjustment stage yet a very meaningful one. Though many had changed still, I managed to cope with those. From a naughty child I turned out into an introvert person. Maybe or should I say definitely, I had much insecurities that tried to conceal and had always conditioned my mind that I alone would be enough to make me truly happy. My classmates found me strict and not approachable because I often smiled. I preferred to sit at the back and ate my lunch all by myself. Simply I found solace and contentment when I was all alone. I got even irritated when I heard my classmates screaming and making noise for nothing. I didn’t know but that was I felt. But time had come that I got bored of being alone, somebody made me realized, my best friend, that life would become more meaningful if you l only let myself enjoy, accept the reality, and learn to play the game of life. From then on, I let go of myself, I started to associate and mingle with others and I found it enjoyable. She was a like a sister to me. I’ve never acquainted as great and loving person as she was. She inspired me in many ways. She was one of the most precious gifts that God had given to me. She was there at my side through ups and downs. She was special and will always be special person in my life. She even made my high school days more meaningful.

It seemed that my life was perfect, but as what they say, “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing”. I was fourth year then, and my sister was in third year college taking up Civil Engineering at Saint Mary’s College. I must say she had given all opportunities in life. My parents had given her the best education. She was well-provided with all her needs and wants as much as my parents could give. She broke her promises to me and most especially to my parents. She got pregnant at the age of eighteen. We were all wondering why she had decided to stop schooling when in fact my aunt was willing to pay her tuition fee. Well, probably it was already a sign. All our neighbors concluded that she was pregnant. Well, on my side, I won’t believe it. I had known my sister more than they. She would not attempt to do it. She would not dare to break my promise to me. But she confirmed it true. I didn’t know what to feel. Certainly, I was very mad that time to her not because of her condition but with what she did to my parents. I had attested their hard works for her to have the best education. I knew they were very disappointed to her. My heart was breaking into two pieces every time I saw my father drinking liquor every night just to forget the real scenario. I knew he had expected much of her. And every time I saw my mother crying, I tend to condemn and blame her. She did not deserve after all. All had criticized her except my parents. Truly, the love of a parent to a child was unconditional and endless. Still, they accepted her with open arms and taken good care of the baby. I admired them more for that. I had proven how lucky I was to have them as my parents. In fact they were staying now in our house.

As I entered College, I felt I was walking in a very dark place. I stayed at my aunt’s house. I was not happy there. She was very strict and perfectionist as well, as if I didn’t have the right to commit mistakes. She tended to control my life as if she owned me. My parents did not know about my situation or should I say I wouldn’t let them knew it because I didn’t want them to be bothered. I knew they will get hurt because that was not the way they brought me up. She kept on comparing me to my sister, that what happened to her might be happened to me also. Well, it was definitely unfair! She had known nothing to me. I lived only in her house and my parents had provided me everything. She had no right to act that way. I understood her a little bit because she was a spinster and she did not know the feeling of being a mother. If only she knew, she will surely understand me and the whole world as well. I got even hurt every time she looked down my family. Honestly, I can take all the insensitive words that had been thrown to me but when my family got involved, it was definitely below the built. Though she helped me in many ways, I had decided to leave at her house. She challenged me! And I made a promise to myself that someday I can prove her wrong.

As what they say, the art of life is a constant readjustment to our surroundings. Though it was hard from the outset, I strived more to pursue my goals. I won’t dare to fizzle out dreaming. I tried to embrace various kinds of personalities. Definitely, you can’t please anybody for them to like you. I’d rather be hated by them than to pretend of a certain person whom I was really not. I guess our greatest obligation in any lifetime is to be true to ourselves. Somehow we learn who we really are and then live with that decision as long as we are not stepping the rights of others.

I must say, at the age of 20 I have gained the words “maturity” and “acceptance”. Maturity for though I had once defeated and committed mistakes but I managed to stand up and learned from those. Acceptance for I learned to accept the reality and to face the ever changing world.

I love my past. I love my present. I’m not ashamed of what I’ve had, and I’m not sad because I have it no longer. #





















No comments: